The right of public areas
Thanks to our law “Allemansrätten”, the right of public areas, everybody can move freely in the Swedish nature. But there are a few things that you have to thing about when you are out hiking, camping, climbing, picking flowers and other things in the nature.
The right of public areas makes sure that everyone has access to the nature, but that also makes it our shared responsibility to take into account the ancient custom and not least by using it with care. Many are though unsure about what possibilities they have, but also responsibilities that comes with this law. Swedish legislation mentions everyone’s access to and responsibility for nature in a comprehensive way. Therefore, it is important that you find out what rights and obligations are part of this law. The law states that each one must show consideration and caution in his relationship with nature.
Allemansrätten enables hiking, biking and horseback riding in the nature
The opportunity to be out in the nature is easier because of “Allemansrätten”. Not many countrys have this benefit. So that everybody can enjoy it there are some things to have in mind:
- It is important not to damage afforestation or any other sensitive grounds.
- To make sure you don’t bother the ones that lives in the area, make sure you don’t step into anyones private ground.
- Have in mind not to prevent landowners in their business.
- When horseback riding or biking in terrain there are risks for damaging on the grounds. Therefore, it is important to pay attention so you don+t go on soft or fragile grounds, in marked exercising trails, ski trails or hiking trails.
- When passing fenced pastures, keep in mind not to disturb the animals or damage the fence.
Camping in the wild
The right of public areas gives you the right to camp at one spot for 24 hours. But if you are camping in larger groups with many tents you need to ask the landowners for permission. Though, it is important to remember that you need to set you tent where it is appropriate, in other words not where it is farms or private houses. Taking into account is the most important component in allemansrätten. In national parks and nature reserve there are special rules apply. In general it is forbidden to camp, except for specifically designated places.
Make a fire
You are allowed to set a fire in the nature, but remember that fire causes anxiety among many land owners since large forests burns down every because of carelessness with camp fires. To reduce the risk for the fire to spread there are some thing that you can have in mind:
- Don´t fire when it is dry weather, at those times it is usually forbidden because of risks for larger fires
- It is important to find a place where the fire has no risk of spreading.
- Have in mind not to fire directly on or on the side of larges rock sides. It can break and get damages that never mends.
- When you have lit your fire – extinguishing it properly before you leave the place.
- Don´t leave any traces after the fire, such as a fireplace or like.
Pick berries, mushrooms, flowers and sticks from the ground
You are allowed to pick flowers, berries, mushrooms and sticks from the ground. But to make sure we don´t harm the ground there are some thing to have in mind:
- Some plants are protected and cannot be picked. Here you can read more about protected flowers. Orchids are protected in the whole country.
- Don’t take twigs, branches, birch and bark from growing trees, they can get damaged.
Allemansrätten and dogs
The mans best friend can of course come with you out in the nature. From mars 1st to august 20th the animal life is sensitive and dogs can not run free. The rest of the year you need to have you dog under watch so it doesn’t bother och hurt the animal life and other human beings. In some parts of the country you dog needs to be in a leash all year round.
Hunting and fishing
Hunting and fishing is not apart of the right of public areas-law. You are allowed to fish with a fishing rod along the coasts and in our five biggest lakes: Värnen, Vättern, Mälaren, Hjälmaren och Storsjön. Along the west coast, the northern coast and Skånes southern coast other fishing methods then with a rod is included in the free fishing. When fishing elsewhere you need to have a fishing permit. To think about:
- Find out what the rules are where you what to fish.
- Don’t leave any hooks or lines in the nature. It can become deathtraps for animals.
- Leave animals nests and kids alone.
- You are not allowed to take bird eggs, that is considered hunting. Hunting may be carried out in accordance with the provisions of the hunting regulation. Animal species threatened by extinction are protected, for example, all frogs and snakes.
Do you want to know more? Read here.
Spara i Mitt Äventyr